Hara Bhara Kebab. Soft, melt in your mouth Pan Roasted Spinach and Green Peas Kebabs.
A delicious appetizer when entertaining; they’re a definite crowd pleaser. Keep the heat mild and the children will love them too. You know I love combining different vegetables and beans and creating different versions of these.
They combine the goodness of seasonal spinach greens and fresh green peas which are so flavorful and nutritious during the winter months.
I have memories of having tasted these mini kebabs at weddings and other get-togethers back in the day while growing up in Delhi.They were one of the favorite and popular appetizers at parties back then.
Mom has made so many versions of vegetable kebabs/ tikkis simply because we as a family loved our vegetables.She would serve these either at breakfast along with some butter toasted bread or at snack time along with some hot chai.
These kebabs are a perfect way to sneak in some veggies to your kiddos if they are picky eaters or simply enjoy them if you love your greens.
We love these at home; hope you get to try these delicious kebabs very soon.
Hara Bhara Kebab
- 1 Cup Blanched Green Peas (fresh/ frozen as per availability)
- 1.5 Cup Blanched Spinach Greens
- 1 Large Boiled Potato
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Toasted Oats
- 1 Cup Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1-2 chopped green chilies
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder/ paprika
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil + more for pan frying
- Heat a pan with 2 tsp oil and add 1/2 tsp each of cumin and fennel seeds. Add 1 tsp grated ginger and chopped green chili. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- To this add 1 cup blanched green peas and 1.5 cups blanched spinach greens. Sauté this mixture on low flame till all the excess water evaporates. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Coarse blend along with a cup of fresh coriander leaves and remove in a mixing bowl.
- To this mixture, grate a large boiled potato.
- Add 1/4 cup powdered toasted oats, salt to taste, 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder, 1/4 tsp chaat masala, 1/4 tsp red chili powder/ paprika and 1/2 tsp lime juice.
- Give everything a very gentle mix.
- Oil your palms and divide the mixture equally. Shape into approximately 6 medium sized patties/ kebabs.
- Heat a cast iron pan (preferably) and spread some oil. Pan fry these kebabs/ patties on low to medium flame on both sides until they turn light brown and have a good sear.
- Serve hot with a sauce/ chutney of your choice.
2. Feel free to adjust the heat from the chillies when making for children.
3. Chaat masala is not mandatory.
4. Oiling your palms is a sure shot way to make perfectly shaped kebabs.
5. These kebabs can be prepped and shaped a day before and pan fried the next day if meal prepping.